Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Santa Fe, city of peace?

OOC: some of the sequence of events are likely off due to the sheer amount of scenes. This is a player mistake. The diary would not suffer from this issue.


Kindred from near and far gathered in Santa Fe this weekend to celebrate the period of peace within the state; a premise which has cost many of us blood, sweat, and turmoil. This situation is a construct of the kindred condition. We create a veneer for everyone to see, to hide away all the ugly that pervades the our requiem. It is our individual choice whether or not to revel and celebrate what is accomplished in said veneer, to ruin its integrity for others by pointing out that it is simply a veneer, or to use its mantle as a means to further your agenda. I have been called a fool before, but I very much intend to foster that peace so long as it lasts.

As in all things, there are exceptions and hypocrisies that are a needed element to this process. This month, I lost a dear friend to me: Prince Donaghan of Colorado Springs. When I heard of his demise, and the circumstances surrounding it my rage was indeed great. Emotions wax and wane, and now I have the clarity to see what must be done and the patience mustered to collect on my vendetta. It is a shame the murderers of Prince Donaghan did not attend our soiree. I had a pleasant welcome awaiting them.

When I arrived on scene, I was displeased to hear that the Invictus procession had been cancelled in the interests of expediency. No matter. I took a position at the head table and looked out into the crowd. Master Santiago welcomed our guests and apologized for the tardiness of the council of bishops. I commend him on his speaking abilities, even considering the rather bland nature of the topic at hand.
I stood to take the stage for a moment, readdressed my stance regarding the state, and formally extended my hand to the proxy of Prince Sullivan, Bishop Sebaska. I always get the impression that he sees me as artificial, an underlying sense of disdain and fear pervading his very being. It is for this fear of leadership, this lack of quality, that Bishop Sebaska will never become Archbishop Sebaska. Nonetheless, he took my hand and exchanged kind words, and the gesture is respected.

I took to the floor and began the process of socialization. Our guests were welcoming and respectful. They included dignitaries such as Sir Johnny Walker, Prince Harrison of Los Angeles, Prince Rathstein of Austin, the personality known as Lord Astor, the Carthian mastermind Alexander Thibodeaux, and many others. Rumour had it that Alder Aleksander Murdoch was also present. I was most pleased to see the return of Baron LaRoque as well.
That rumour was confirmed when Master Santiago came to us distressed that his prized ghoul had been embraced. It was both surprising and disappointing. Alder Murdoch operates in ways I would deem as insane, but there is a method to his madness that demands the caution of others. It must have been a powerful blow to the ego of Master Santiago, but in a way I see it as a karmic toll for all of his own machinations. One good turn deserves another.

Mass followed shortly thereafter. It was announced that we were to have an Invictus meeting, though I made it clear that I intended to attend mass, and that the Invictus meeting would honor the tradition of waiting for its elders. I was pleasantly surprised by the content of Bishop Sebaska's first mass. It was a quality reading from the book of Longinus followed by partaking of blood from the chalice. Very simple and to the point. I would suggest to him to abbreviate the next reading as to not lose his audience and amend speaking to his congregation on what is to be learned and applied from said reading.

Shortly following mass I was approached by Mr. Thomas of the Ordo. He exclaimed to me that he was privy to a meeting in which he was informed that my clothing were now worth boons, especially my sash, which was to be worth a major boon. I found the idea amusing albeit perturbing. It was also made known that the individual would provide a major boon for presenting him a staked member of Alder Aurelius' house. The matter became more pester some when some of our guests from the Carthian Movement chastised Mr. Thomas for letting the proverbial cat out of the bag. The meeting was then explained to me in some detail, but Mr. Bosen Walker, Prince Maladante and Aleksander Murdoch were all implicated in the matter. The matter to this day is confusing. Who did what and said what is a mystery to me, but nonetheless became the subject of my obsessions for the remainder of the evening.

During my last conversation with the Carthians, I was made aware of a situation in which Wraith Wax was attacked by Mr. Finnegan of the Invictus. I will say I was amused by the notion, but that amusement was overshadowed by the concern I had regarding the peace between our two cities. I am certain that an attack against Wraith would be seen not as the extermination of an accomplice to one of the more foul monsters I had encountered, and more of an attack against an officer of the Rio Rancho court. Lord Astor filled me in on the situation, and a large group of individuals formed a ring outside the bounds of Elysium. Mr. Finnegan was interrogated, during which a name I had never heard of before was brought up. Nonetheless, the brazen attack on Miss Wax would likely cost me in some fashion down the road, and so I had to resist the urge to squish Mr. Finnegan like the liability he had proven himself to be. Nonetheless, I had to agree with Lord Astor in that Mr. Finnegan needed an Au Pair, and as the only one present, I begrudgingly agreed to take him on.

When I returned to the event I came upon Mr. Carter destroying the diablerist responsible for the absence of the council of bishops of Santa Fe before the entirety of the assembled guests. There was a mild sense of regret in not being aware nor being able to participate in said execution, but the matter was settled and I was satisfied. Sir Walker commended Mr. Carter to me personally, and suggested some prestation for him during our next court. Master Santiago took the stage, upon which he declared himself acting Regent of Santa Fe.

Shortly thereafter a matter concerning the strix reared its head. Mr. Maxwell of the Ordo was to be checked for possession. Sir Finch confirmed that indeed, he was not. The accusers also accused Miss. Wraith Wax of acting particularly suspiciously when asked to be confirmed as well, so much so that she seemed to take offense and fled the grounds. Lord Astor and Acolyte Tek decided that they would ensure she would be found and cleared of possession. I left them to their own devices to hunt her down.
Sir Walker returned with information from Mr. JD. He said to me that Mr. Bosen Walker and Prince Maladante were responsible for the invitations, and boon exchange earlier brought to my attention. Conversations changed and so came the topic of the machinations of Aleksander Murdoch once again. Prince Maladante was asked if he was responsible for the invitations and he denied that he was involved. His aura did not betray his honesty. I asked Lord Astor to retrieve Alder Murdoch for me. He gleefully complied.

I then met with Mr. Cosmo, also of the Ordo. Mr Cosmo was one of the more interesting individuals I had encountered in some time. He has a predatory feel about him that made you feel like a piece of meat. Nonetheless his talents at bathing were unmatched by any Galloi I had previously encountered. I followed him, Viscount Eric in tow, to the bus haven that this creature inhabited. He provided me with lacrima grown from the vitae of the Ventrue, and a massage. My relaxation would not last, as my absence from the event would not be tolerated. I apologized to Mr. Cosmo as an almost carnival-esque cavalcade of personalities entered his haven to exchange conversation with us. This which were deemed insurmountably important by Prince Maladante and Master Montoya were cast to the winds of mystery. I never knew what it was that they wanted me to attend to. If I had left, the bath would not take, and my desire to see Alder Murdoch humiliated would not allow me to do so.
The second call of the evening was from Sister Morgan. She came to the bus and showed to me the bolt lodged in her back where Mister Finnegan had been hired by Master Santiago to destroy her. I realized then that Mister Finnegan was not with me. Mister Finnegan either has the acuity of a child or is a masochist. I filed it away to be dealt with, my bath was complete.

Upon returning, I was pulled aside yet again by Sir Walker, this time to address Master Santiago's desire to destroy her former ghoul for the violation of the second Tradition. Sir Walker thought it gauche to destroy the victim of the crime, and made it his goal to ensure she would not only survive, but receive acknowledgement from the Santa Fe Court. As acting Regent, Master Santiago took the stage and announced the acknowledgement of his former ghoul, now childe of Aleksander Murdoch. Lord Astor Returned with Alder Murdoch just in time to witness her acknowledgement. He seemed pleased. How awkward.
We spoke a few seconds, the meaningless motions surrounding his usual greetings, and moved toward a table in the rear. It seemed as though we had our Invictus meeting after all.
Master Santiago and Alder Murdoch hashed out their differences regarding the illegitimate childe. Boons were exchanged, as well as a fair helping of interplay between the two. I am most disappointed in the assembled parties in some regard. The traditions were brought up, and the rational behind some of them, but as in all things the core traditions have purpose. The prince sanctions an embrace to control the kindred population he is responsible for, ensure that the herd is able to support said population, and thus preserve the masquerade. For Alder Murdoch to claim that he had embraced his new childe outside the bounds of the city spoke volumes of him. He is dishonorable. Nonetheless the matter had been resolved and so I was disinterested in pushing the matter needlessly.
I now had the floor regarding personal matters at hand. I tossed my sash on the table to claim my major boon from him. Alder Murdoch was questions to which he denied involvement. He seemed to be speaking truth, but the Sir Finch's psychometry said otherwise. I tasked him with clearing his name. He in turn offered me a boon in holding until such a time when his name was cleared.

Sir Walker asked for my presence at my last meeting for the evening. This was a matter concerning the Ordo, the rise of the brides of Dracula, and army of brood in Russia. I had not heard of the ordeal, but it certainly sounded like something that would soon reverberate through the collective requiem of us all.

Ah, the evening was over, or so I thought. Baron Laroque came to me seeking something be done about the missing relics. Apparently members of the movement had stolen them. Sir Walker stated plainly that he had the Invictus sword. Baron Laroque seemed perplexed by the notion of taking it without the consensus of the Invictus. It became an argument in which Sir Walker looked to be harboring a thief, and Baron LaRoque to be a back talking subordinate who doesn't know when to be quiet. I knew neither was the case, but I was not certain Sir Walker nor Baron LaRoque knew this of the other. With some simple diplomacy the situation was resolved. The sword would be returned to the Invictus of New Mexico after some study.

Prince Rathstein approached me at the tail end of the gathering as we were all readying ourselves to leave. He knew who had penned the invitations, and the situation surrounding the rumors flying about throughout the evening. Nonetheless he could not tell me as it would be breaking his word to someone else. I respected his position, and appreciated the gesture. It left me with just enough information to come to a conclusion: I need to find another Lynx.

No comments:

Post a Comment